Long before it ended its use as Greer City Hall in 2008, the building served as the city's post office, constructed in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Prior to its construction, the post office had leased space downtown, including a location beside the railroad tracks on Trade Street across from the Piedmont and Northern Depot. The service window from that post office has been restored and is now part of the museum's exhibits.
An interesting feature of the building is the lobby mural painted in 1940 by Winfred R. Walkley as part of the WPA Federal Art Project. The painting, titled "Cotton and Peach Growing," celebrated the major crops of that time. The mural was covered by paneling when the building was refurbished as city hall in 1968, but was uncovered when the museum began its renovation in 2008.
Features of the original post office are the terrazo floor, the civil service bulletin boards, a skylight with original shade, and an observation point for the postal inspector. A plaque denoting the building's spot on the National Register of Historic Places was installed in 2011, completing a three-year application process.
Learn more at the museum's website