According to the 2021 IRC, Section R105.2 Number 10, “Permits shall not be required for decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 square meters) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 millimeters) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.”
- Please go to eTrakit and apply for a Building Residential/ Deck, Sunroom or Screened Porch permit.
- Submit a site plan that shows setbacks to the property line.
- Submit a detailed drawing that shows building material, dimensions, and foundation plans.
- A deck and or screen porch will require a detailed drawing of the footing/foundation
- The value of work is equal to the total cost of the entire job. It should include fair market value for labor and material.
- View or download a Deck Construction Guide
- LLR requires a Residential Home Builder or a General Contractors license with a BD (Builder) classification to perform the work.
- If a homeowner wishes to install their own deck, screen porch, or sunroom, they can apply for the permit but must complete a Homeowner’s Disclosure Form (PDF), file it with the corresponding county office and provide proof of primary residency (i.e. driver’s license showing that address and a copy of a utility bill).
- Additional permits may need to be pulled for mechanical, electrical, or plumbing.
- View this video on how to identify an unsafe deck (Deck Video).