Municipal Elections


The City of Greer is governed by Greer City Council, with registered voters in each of the city’s six districts electing one councilman or councilwoman every four years (unless circumstances create the need for a special election) to represent their district.  The Mayor serves a four-year term and is elected through a citywide election as he or she represents all districts.  Voters also elect Commissioners of Public Works which, like Mayor, is an at-large office.

City of Greer municipal elections are non-partisan – ballots list candidates but no declared affiliation with a political party.

Voters may also be called upon to determine an issue of importance to the city through a referendum.

Register to Vote

Voters who wish to participate in any City of Greer municipal election must be registered with their respective county voter registration office.  Depending on their county of residence, City of Greer residents should contact either:

Greenville County Voter Registration
301 University Ridge
Suite 1900
Greenville, SC  29601
(864) 467-7250

Spartanburg County Voter Registration
366 North Church Street
Room 1630
Spartanburg, SC  29303
(864) 596-2549

These offices provide complete information on how to register to vote, general elections, absentee voting, and a tutorial on how to use South Carolina's touchscreen voting machine.  Valuable information, including election results and the ability to easily find a precinct by county, is available to registered voters on the South Carolina State Election Commission's S.C. Votes website.

City Council Districts

View maps of the city's six districts following the redistricting process.

Candidate Qualifications and Filing

Whether by regularly attending City Council meetings or running for public office, residents are encouraged to become involved in their local government.  Those who choose to run for Mayor or one of the six Council seats should be aware of the requirements to file for candidacy:


             Candidates must be City of Greer residents and, if running for City Council,
             must reside in the district for which they are running.  The Mayor and
             Commissioner of Public Works are at-large offices open to city residents.

             Filing Fees

          $125.00 for Mayor or Commissioner of Public Works (at-large offices)
          $  70.00 for Greer City Council seat

          Filing Dates

          Filing begins at noon on July 17, 2017
          Filing closes at noon on August 15, 2017

          Filing Procedure

Contact Municipal Clerk Tammy Duncan at 801-2027 and complete
                   a Statement of Intention of Candidacy at Greer City Hall.

             2.  Pay the filing fee for the office you are seeking.

             3.  Complete and file a Statement of Economic Interest with the State Ethics Commission.

             4.  Provide the Municipal Clerk with proof that the Statement of Economic Interest
                   has been filed.

Please contact Municipal Clerk Tammy Duncan at (864) 801-2027 with any questions about filing or the municipal election.

Municipal Election Commission

This three-member board is responsible for conducting City of Greer municipal elections, including hiring poll managers, preparing ballots, overseeing the election day process, deciding provisional ballots, and hearing election protests.